Women’s swimming glides to fourth at MIAC

The Carleton College women’s swimming and diving team concluded the MIAC Championships fourth in the team standings, moving up one spot in the rankings from the previous year. Maria Wetzel (So./ Salem, Ore./West Salem) turned in the Knights’ sole All-MIAC performance on Saturday.

Gustavus Adolphus won its sixth consecutive conference title with 858.5 points, followed by St. Thomas (817), St. Olaf (514.5) and Carleton (356) in the 11-team competition.

The first event of the finals was the 1650-yard freestyle, and Lexi Shin (Fy./Rochester, Minn./Century) came in 15th place with a time of 18:57.99.

The next event, the 200-yard backstroke, saw Maria Wetzel take second with a time of 2:02.74. That mark was only 0.01 second shy of her personal-best time posted during the morning preliminary round, a time that moved her into second place in team history for the event and gave Wetzel her third NCAA “B” cut mark of the weekend.

For her outstanding finish in the race, Wetzel added yet another All-MIAC performance to her list of ac- complishments. Alison Coogan (Sr./ River Forest, Ill./Oak Park-River Forest) finished in sixth place in the event, touching at a lifetime best of 2:08.45. Allie Clark (So./Northfield, Minn./Northfield) took ninth place and Kat Nguyen (Fy./Palo Alto, Calif./Palo Alto) finished in 16th place, both posting career-best times of 2:11.68 and 2:16.12, respectively. Alex Guy (Sr./Denver Colo./ Denver School of the Arts) finished 10th place in the 100-yard freestyle with a new PR of 53.69. Madison McBride (Jr./Elko, Minn./Lakeville South) took 15th place, and Brittany Salazar (Jr./San Francisco, Calif./ San Francisco Waldorf) finished in 16th place, posting lifetime best times of 55.18 and 55.31, respectively, during the preliminary round.

In the 200-yard butterfly, Alex Braiedy (So./Chanhassen, Minn./ Minnetonka) took 11th, posting a personal best of 2:15.44. Halie Langanki (Jr./Lino Lakes, Minn./ Mounds View) finished in 14th place at 2:19.13.

Amelia Roach (Fy./Bethesda, Md./Bethesda Chevy Chase) finished in ninth place in the semi-finals of the 1-meter diving competition with a score of 315.20.

The Knights concluded the three-day conference meet with the 400- yard freestyle relay. Wetzel, Mc- Bride, Nguyen, and Guy finished in fifth place in the race, touching at a season-best time of 3:38.42.

Wetzel will now wait to see if her “B” cut times in the 200 IM, 100 backstroke, and or 200 backstroke secure a place for her at the NCAA Championships in March. For other Knights this marks the end of 2015.