Women’s Track Paces to Season Opener Win

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 6">

The Carleton College women’s track and field team opened the indoor season with a team victory at the Carleton Triangular. The Knights posted the top result in eight events, including victories by Ruth Steinke (Jr./Lima, N.Y./Honeoye Falls-Lima) in both the 1,000-meter and mile runs.

None of the squads had a full team entry at the season’s initial meet as Carleton totaled 111 points, followed by St. Olaf at 106 and Hamline at 28 points.

“Phenomenal first meet,” said Carleton head coach Donna Ricks. “I was so impressed with how wonderful job our team did. They did not miss a beat from last year. They stepped right back out there and looked like veterans and knew what to do.

“The one thing we wanted to get out of the meet was to establish getting back on the track again including mentally getting ourselves prepared and implementing our race strategy. They definitely competed with heart and did a great job supporting one another and being out there together as a team.”

Steinke tallied a time of 5:06.06 and posted an impressive 17-second margin of victory in winning the mile run. A little over an hour later she was back on the track, prevailing at the 1000-meter distance with a time of 3:03.76. She also ran a leg on Carleton’s entry in the 4×400-meter relay.

Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Ros- eville) recorded a time of 1:39.97 in winning the 600-meter dash.

Sophie Glassford (Jr./Mishawaka, Ind./ Penn) was the first finisher in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:28.77.

Damali Britton (Fy./Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) posted the top distances in the long jump at 4.91 meters (16 feet, 1.5 inches) and triple jump at 9.90 meters (32 feed, 5.75 inches).

Katie Richards (Sr./Needham, Mass./Buckingham, Browne & Nichols) cleared 2.93 meters (9 feet, 7.25 inches) in winning the pole vault.

Trish Hare (So./Northbrook, Ill./Glenbrook North) had the top result in the shot put at 9.01 meters (29 feet, 6.34 inches).

This Friday and Saturday the Knights will take part in the Minnesota State-Mankato Open.