Women’s Tennis Knocked Out of 1st Place

<ite wins by Anne Lombardi ‘14 in both singles and doubles, the Carleton College women’s tennis team found itself on the wrong end of a 5-4 decision, falling to St. Catherine University. The result drops the Knights out of a first-place tie in the MIAC standings.

While this was the Knights first loss in a MIAC regular-season match since April 30, 2011, the result was not entirely surprising. Carleton (6-1, 4-1 MIAC) and St. Catherine (5-0, 3-0 MIAC) were the only squads to receive first-place votes in the conference coaches’ pre-season poll.

The Wildcats grabbed the early advantage by winning two of the three doubles matches. Lombardi and Bridget Doyle ‘13 prevailed for Carleton’s point with an 8-4 result at first doubles.

In singles, Lombardi, Molly Hemes ‘14 and Claire Spencer ‘16 proved victorious. Lombardi needed a third set in her match, winning 6-1, 6-7, and 10-8. Hemes had the easiest time, prevailing 6-3 and 6-4, while Spencer came out on top, 6-4 and 7-6.

St. Kate’s won at first, third, and sixth singles, with each match decided in straight sets as the Wildcats topped Carleton for the first time since besting the Knights by the same score in the semifinals of the 2004 MIAC Playoffs.

Carleton’s next match comes on March 2nd at Bethel.