Behind Elbow and Chin, Knights Tennis Dismisses Scots for Fifth Straight Win

<ecord remains unblemished this season after notching victories once again in both singles and doubles play. His performances, along with the return of sophomore Paul Elbow to the lineup, guided the Carleton College men’s tennis team to an 8-1 decision over Macalester College.

The Knights (6-1, 2-0 MIAC) have won their last five matches and remained undefeated against Division III opponents this season.

Carleton won all three doubles matches for the first time this year. Chin and classmate Austin Jiang improved to 4-0 as they posted an 8-2 result at first doubles. Christian Nagy ‘16 and Paul Cooper ‘13 had the tightest match but prevailed, 9-7. McCoy Becker ‘14 and Erik Johnson ‘16 cruised to an 8-3 victory in the third spot.

“Similar to the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, Paul and Christian started their doubles match with a few glitches,” said Carleton head coach Stephan Zweifel, «but they eventually designed a fix to get their game off the ground.

“McCoy and Erik displayed such frenetic movement and bursts of athleticism that I thought we were watching another one of those ubiquitous meme-status Harlem Shake videos.”

Brian Utz defeated Jiang at first singles, 7-6 and 6-2, for the Scots (2-2, 0-1 MIAC) lone point in the team competition.

Avery Rux ‘15, Chin, Mauricio Gonzalez ‘15, Nelson Wolf ‘14, and Elbow each won their singles matches in straight sets. Chin is now 6-0 in singles, while Gonzalez improved to 5-0 and Wolf raised his record to 4-1.

Elbow notched a 6-3, 6-4 triumph at the sixth slot. «It was fun to watch Paul Elbow in the singles line-up today,” Zweifel said. “His left-handed cross-court forehand allowed him to work his opponent’s backhand like Rocky Balboa on a side of beef.”

The Knights will put their win streak on the line next weekend as they have two more matches before heading to Southern California for spring break. Carleton faces Bethel University on Saturday, March 2, and then takes on Division II St. Cloud State University on Sunday, March. 3