Klontz Sets Pool Record

<ik Klontz ‘13 won the 50-yard freestyle race with a time of 21.04, then came back later and broke the Skoglund Pool record at that distance with a time of 20.98 as the leadoff leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay at the Cows, Colleges, and Contentment Classic, an unscored meet. The quartet of Mamoru Kanazawa ‘13, Ross Brown ‘14, Klontz, and George McAneny ‘16 got Carleton started by finishing third in the day’s first race—the 200-yard medley relay—with a time of 1:38.65.Kanazawa later placed third in the 100-yard backstroke at 54.74.

In the 50 free, Klontz bested a trio of racers from St. Cloud State, a NCAA Division II program, by more than a quarter of a second. He was right back in the water for the next race and added a fourth-place showing in the 100-yard freestyle (49.22). The meet concluded with the day’s biggest highlight for the Knights. Klontz opened Carleton’s second-place showing in the 200 freestyle relay with a leadoff leg time of 20.98. That narrowly eclipsed the previous venue record of 20.99 set back in 1989. Klontz ultimately combined with Kanazawa, McAneny and Stephen Grinich ‘16 on a time of 1:26.76. Carleton will next travel to St. Paul, Minn. to swim a dual meet against the University of St. Thomas tonight at 6 PM.