News Briefs

<ong>Exhibit recognizes artistic talent throughout the disciplines

At a liberal arts school like Carleton College, it’s not uncommon that students choose to explore more than one discipline.  “Outside the Lines,” a new art exhibit at the college, celebrates the artwork of non-art majors.  The show will be on display in the Boliou Hall through May 1. This exhibit is free and open to the public.

For centuries, artists have worked in many different trades and intellectual disciplines—they have spent their lives making art while also working as scientists, philosophers, and poets.  Following their example, many Carleton students pursue their artistic interests through classes and independent studies even if it is not strictly part of their course requirements.

“Outside the Lines” highlights work done by juniors and seniors who are not art majors, but have studied art at Carleton, and who use visual language to communicate about the many worlds of which they are a part.  The exhibit was organized by Helen F. Lewis Professor of English Susan Jaret-McKinstry, who hopes it will inspire other non art majors to think “outside the lines.” The show also honors art majors and professors who have supported the non-majors and their artistic talents along the way.

The exhibit is sponsored by Viz (Visualizing the Liberal Arts), a new initiative at Carleton funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.  The Viz will enable Carleton to be a leader in developing innovative ways to address the challenges that faculty, students, and staff encounter as they work to create, interpret, and employ visual images, media and models.

The Boliou Hall Auditorium is accessible from Highway 19 in Northfield, and is wheelchair accessible.  For more information regarding this exhibit, please contact Susan Jaret-McKinstry at [email protected].

Acclaimed St. Paul Chamber Orchestra to perform at Carleton

The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra (SPCO) will perform in concert on Sunday, April 18 at 2 p.m. at the Carleton College Skinner Memorial Chapel. The concert will be conducted by Thomas Zehetmair, and the program will include Violin Concerto in D, Op.61 by Ludwig Van Beethoven (1770-1827), Symphonic Elegy for Strings, Op. 105 by Ernst Krenek (1900-1991), Symphony, Op. 21 by Anton Webern (1883-1945) and Symphony no. 8 in B Minor, D. 759 (Unfinished) by Franz Schubert (1797-1828).

Admission is free with a Carleton College or St. Olaf College I.D. General admission is $10; $7 for senior citizens and non-Carleton/St. Olaf students. Tickets are available at the door.

The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, now in its 51st season, is the nation’s only full-time professional chamber orchestra and is widely regarded as one of the finest chamber orchestras in the world. In collaboration with four Artistic Partners – Roberto Abbado, Douglas Boyd, Dawn Upshaw and Christian Zacharias – the 35 virtuoso musicians present more than 150 concerts and educational programs each year. Renowned for its artistic excellence and remarkable versatility of musical styles, the SPCO tours nationally and internationally, including performances in premier venues in Europe, Asia and South America.

Thomas Zehetmair enjoys a successful international career, thrilling audiences and critics with his abilities as a soloist, chamber musician and conductor. In Europe, Zehetmair is a regular guest of the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, Berlin and Vienna Philharmonics, and Vienna Chamber Orchestra, among others. He also enjoys a successful conducting career and a distinguished chamber music career.  Zehetmair holds an honorary degree from Music Academy Franz Liszt in Weimar.

The Skinner Memorial Chapel is located on First Street, between Winona and College Street in Northfield. For more information or disability accommodations, email Gao Hong Dice at [email protected] or call (507) 222-4475. More information on the SPCO can be found at www.thespco.org.