News Briefs

<ong>Screening of filmmaker Johnny Symons’s “Ask Not” and “Daddy and Papa”

On Monday Nov. 9, two films by Johnny Symons will be shown in Boliou 104 in anticipation of the filmmaker’s visit to Carleton on Nov. 10. The two films are “Ask Not” and “Daddy and Papa.”

“Ask Not” is a rare and compelling documentary film that explores the effects of the US military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy on gay and lesbian soldiers and service members. The film exposes the tangled political battles that led to the discriminatory law and examines the societal shifts that have occurred since its passage in 1993. Current and veteran gay soldiers reveal how “don’t ask, don’t tell” affects them during their tours of duty, as they struggle to maintain a double life, uncertain of whom they can trust. The film also explores how gay veterans and youth organizers are turning to forms of personal activism to overturn the policy. From a national speaking tour of conservative universities to protests at military recruitment offices, these public events question how the U.S. military can claim to represent democracy and freedom while denying one segment of the population the right to serve.

“Daddy and Papa” is a one hour documentary exploring the personal, cultural, and political impact of gay men who are making a decision that is at once traditional and revolutionary: to raise children themselves. Taking us inside four gay male families, DADDY & PAPA traces the day-to-day challenges and the larger, critical issues that inevitably intersect their private lives—the ambiguous place of interracial families in America, the wonder and precariousness of surrogacy and adoption, the complexities of marriage and divorce within the gay community, and the legality of their own parenthood. This event is sponsored by the Film Society, Gender and Sexuality Center and the Cinema and Media Studies department.