News Briefs

<ong>Carleton Players present Shakespeare’s Measure for Measure this weekend

The Carleton Players will present their first production of the academic year, Shakespeare’s timeless comedy Measure for Measure, at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, October 30 and 31 and November 6 and 7, in the College’s Arena Theater. This show is free and open to the public; reservations are encouraged.

Measure for Measure was first performed over 400 years ago, but Ruth Weiner, Players’ director and Class of 1944 Professor of Theater and the Liberal Arts, describes this production as modern, or even contemporary. “I hope the performance will be both special and unique for the actors’ deep understanding of the text and their creation of compelling characters who embody the ideas behind the language – and also speak the language clearly,” says Weiner.

Measure for Measure is one of Shakespeare’s greatest comedies, centering on the events in Vienna when the good but lenient Duke takes leave of his post, entrusting it to the far stricter and more moralistic Lord Angelo. The drama of the play revolves around the fate of Claudio, a man jailed under the new regime for impregnating his unmarried lover. The plot contains the mistaken identities and numerous characters in disguise that are typical of a Shakespearean comedy, but it is known as a more problematic play than many of his other comedies because the protagonists are complex and embody significant vices along with virtues.

“We wanted to do a Shakespeare and Measure for Measure, a comedy, raises really interesting questions about morality, identity and one’s knowledge of oneself, the relationship between law and justice,” adds Weiner.

This event is sponsored by Carleton Department of Theater and Dance. Reservations can be made by calling (507) 222-4471.For further information and disability accommodations, contact Danette DeMann at (507) 222-4301. The Arena Theater is located at the end of Nevada Street in Northfield.