Women’s basketball ranks fourth as playoffs near

<rleton College women’s basketball team (14-8, 13-6 MIAC) took over the fourth spot in the conference standings with a 67-64 victory over Hamline University (12-10, 9-10 MIAC) on Wednesday night. The Knights had five players reach double digits, including Annie Isler ’08 and Amber Connor ’10 who paced the team with 15 points each. The victory was the fourth straight for Carleton.

Ally Weaver ’11 added 11 points for Carleton, who got 10 points apiece from Sarah Kunelius ’09 and Hannah Oken-Berg ’09.

The Knights used a 13-2 run spanning four and a half minutes early in the second half to wrest control of the contest. Connor had seven points during this spurt.

Isler concluded the evening 11-of-12 from the free-throw line and snared a team-high nine rebounds.

Mary Wilkowski tallied a game-high 19 points for Hamline, while Jessica Heinen contributed 13 points and nine rebounds for the visitors. The Pipers missed out on an opportunity to enhance their chances of securing the sixth and final playoff berth, but Hamline still maintains a two-game lead over Macalester, which lost to Saint Benedict Wednesday night.

Both teams struggled to find a rhythm on offense as Carleton shot 35 percent, slightly better than the 34 percent recorded by the Pipers.

The Knights will look to improve their seeding for the playoffs as they host Macalester College in a women’s/men’s doubleheader on Sat., February 16.