Update Men’s Lax

<rleton lacrosse team kicked off a new season toward the end of winter term with 3 games and is now in the main part of the season. Armed with stylish new jerseys and helmets, the team has come into the season with an unprecedented level of seriousness and focus, despite the loss of the godfather of the team Jim Watkins ’07, who graduated last year and is currently playing in the prestigious Wall Street League.

In addition to the return of the core of last year’s team including reigning team MVP and behemoth Eric Paul ’08 for his senior season, the team also introduced a large freshmen class, including five star recruits Jason Weischedel ‘11 and Will Tynan ‘11. The team also bolstered its coaching staff with the addition of Daniel Lipkin, a former standout at Colorado College whose drive has inspired the team to reach new heights. Former Carleton geology professor Ed Buchwald and professional rotter/ player-coach Nick Artenstein ‘09 are assisting Lipkin.

In addition to the coaching staff and personnel changes, the Knights embarked on their first annual preseason training regiment during the second week of spring break that included two-a-day practices and nightly team bonding events. The preseason was capped off by a trip down to sunny Iowa in which the team faced off against top ranked St. John’s and lost.

While the 2008 season has been marked by ups and downs, the Knights have showed their grit despite adversity from injuries and inconvenient practice times. Tim Singer ’08 has lead the team into battle with the zeal of a Spartan general and has played brilliantly despite coming off of an ACL tear that he sustained last year.

In their bid to potentially become a varsity team, the Knights are hosting their first parents and alumni weekend next weekend that will potentially raise money for the team in addition to allowing players and their families to celebrate their achievements. In addition to the banquet, there will be a home game against rival St. Thomas University, which beat the Knights 15-0 last year.

While the Knights may potentially end another season with a losing record, many lessons have been learned this season, and Knights are surely writing a new chapter in the storied history of Carleton lacrosse.