Knights advance to MIAC Championship Game

< defeating Concordia college in the first round of the MIAC playoffs, the Knights defeated St. Benedict on Wednesday to advance to the MIAC Championship game on Saturday where a bid to the NCAA tournament will be on the line.In advancing to the championship game, Carleton has already bested last season’s effort when they lost in the semi-finals of the MIAC playoffs.

In the first round game against Concodia, it came down to a last secondd play. Let this be a lesson to kids everywhere, always know the game situation. With eight seconds left in the game after an athletic lay up by Annie Isler ‘08 and a free throw by Megan Mileusinic ’10 the Knights were up by three, Concordia’s leading scorer Jenna Freudenberg drove down the entire court into the lane to hit a lay up at the buzzer…which still left the Cobbers down by one. Freudenberg had clearly believed that Concordia was actually down by two, and that little critical mistake allowed fourth seeded Knights to take down fifth seeded Concordia, 62-61.

The Knights followed the win up on Wednesday by upsetting the first seeded Saint Benedict 64-60 to advance to the MIAC championship game against St. Thomas.
In the Concordia game the big story was that star forward Sarah Lincoln ‘09 went down with a high ankle sprain after a buzzer beater at the end of the first half and could not return for the rest of the game.Hannah Oken-Berg ’09 picked up the slack though by scoring 19 points and Sarah Kunelius ’09 filled in for Lincoln on the boards by picking up 10 rebounds.
Oken-Berg said after the game that, “Losing Sarah was a loss that can’t be described by words but we played tough the rest of the game so that her season could continue.” Lincoln was on a roll in the first half with eight points and eight boards before going down with the injury.
Amber Connor ’10 also hit double digits in scoring with 14 points to go along with four rebounds and three assists. Home court advantage proved big for the Knights who won it on the last day of the regular season with a win over Gustavus
In the semi-final against top seeded Saint Ben’s, the Knights were once again faced with the difficult task of playing without Lincoln, but the Knights went into enemy territory and Carleton, led by Oken-Berg once again proved up to the task.Oken-Berg had a huge night as she scored 23 points and grabbed seven boards.
Mileusinic filled in admirably for Lincoln as the starting forward with nine points, while Connor chipped in ten points with with six boards.
Anna Biewen ‘09 had her season high in assists with five to go along with four points and Isler chipped in seven points, seven boards and four assists in the all around team effort.
The Knights now move onto the MIAC Championship game on Saturday against St. Thomas. During the regular season, Carleton struggled against the Tommies, dropping a pair of decisions but hope to reverse that trend this Saturday.

If the Knights win, they will receive the MIAC’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, a feat they have not done since the 2004 season.But if the Knights can knock off second seeded St. Thomas, they will make it back again.

In the first round game against Concodia, it came down to a last secondd play. Let this be a lesson to kids everywhere, always know the game situation. With eight seconds left in the game after an athletic lay up by Annie Isler ‘08 and a free throw by Megan Mileusinic ’10 the Knights were up by three, Concordia’s leading scorer Jenna Freudenberg drove down the entire court into the lane to hit a lay up at the buzzer…which still left the Cobbers down by one.

Freudenberg had clearly believed that Concordia was actually down by two, and that little critical mistake allowed fourth seeded Knights to take down fifth seeded Concordia, 62-61.