Women’s Track performs strongly at Carleton

<ur Knights recorded personal bests in the 3000 meter run on Friday as the Carleton women’s track and field team competed at the Carleton Quadrangular in the Recreation Center. Senior co-captain Heather Hoecker led the charge in the 3K, picking up Carleton’s only event win. Hoecker’s time of 10:36.01 is the second fastest run in the conference this season. The fourth and sixth best times in the MIAC were also run by Carleton athletes at the meet. Sophomores Laura Roach and Irene Koplinka-Loehr finished in 10:39.71 and 10:45.13, respectively, crossing the line in third and fourth place.

Another personal best was achieved by senior co-captain Lauren Milne, as she finished second in the 1000 meter run.Her time of 3:10.04 is the fourth fastest run in the MIAC so far this year. Not far behind her was Nikki Reich ’10, who finished third in 3:15.06.

In the field events, sophomore pentathlete Amy Elson ’10 had a solid day. She finished third in the triple jump with a jump of 10.25 meters (33’7 ”), in addition to competing well in the 55 meter hurdles and the long jump.

Two Carleton distance medley relays finished within half a second of one another, to finish second and third. One Carleton squad finished with a time of 13:07.47 and the second finished in 13:07.68.

Other top finishes for the Knights include a fourth place finish by Karen Campbell ’09 in the mile, a seventh place finish in the 55 meter dash and a eighth place finish in the 200 by Kelsey Donald ’10, a sixth place finish by Laura Sofen ’10 and an eighth place finish by Alissa Pajer ’08 in the 3000, and a fifth place finish by Molly Christian ’08 and a seventh place finish by Megan Howard ’10 in the weight
throw.

The next competition for the Knights will be the annual co-ed meet, The Meet of the Hearts, this Saturday at the Carleton Recreation Center.