Women’s swimming wins last home meet

<rleton College swimming & diving teams hosted Gustavus Adolphus College in the final home meet of the season. It was senior day, celebrating the swimming careers of Karin Brown, Shannon Carcelli, Jen Gratz, Kenley Jackson, Barb Marmet, Matt Haffner and Bret Jackson. The women’s team recorded a 170-130 victory.

“We had two meets this weekend, but the real focus was on Gustavus and the final home meet for our seniors,” said interim head coach Brooke Larsen. “The seniors guided us to an awesome last

performance at Thorpe Pool this season. In the water, they were fierce competitors demonstrating to the rest of the team how to race. While out of the water, they kept all team members filled with spirit. The coaches and the teams will miss their outstanding leadership and dedication to Carleton swimming next season.”

Kate Alexander ‘10 recorded victories in her three individual events and wrapped up the meet with a relay win.

Alexander was first to the wall in the 1000 freestyle and 200 breaststroke. In the 100 breaststroke, she paired with Mia Zutz ‘10 to finish 1-2, as Alexander recorded an NCAA “B” cut time of 1:07.27, which nearly beat her own pool record.

Kate’s sister Becky Alexander ’09 shared the 50 freestyle title with teammate Karin Brown ‘08 as both swimmers touched the pad with a time of 25.89, a season best for each.

That was one of many highlights in Brown’s last home meet.

She anchored the Knights winning 200 medley relay, teaming with Kale Zicafoose ’11, Zutz, and Kaarin Taylor ‘09 to record a time of 1:52.57.

Brown posted a time of 2:00.11 en route to the victory in the 200 freestyle. She then swam the 500 freestyle and posted the second-fastest time of her life, 5:18.71, but was edged at the wall by Gustavus’ Carrie Gunderson, the defending conference champion in the event.

Zicafoose maintained the form she’s exhibited all season and was rewarded with three event victories. She paired with Becky Alexander to finish 1-2 in the 100 backstroke. Zicafoose, who already owns the pool record in the 100 yard backstroke, set a new Thorpe Pool standard in the 200 yard event with an NCAA “B” cut time of 2:09.34.

She later recorded a season-best time of 1:02.63 in the 100 butterfly, holding off Gustavus’ Erica Hickey by 0.07 seconds.

Carleton also added 1-2 finishes in the 200 butterfly and 100 freestyle. Kaarin Taylor and Anna Gallagher ‘11 placed first and second respectively in the fly while Jen Gratz ’08 and Becky Alexander were the first two to the wall in the freestyle race.

The Knights concluded the afternoon with a victory in the 200 freestyle relay as Gratz, Louise Buckler ‘11 and Kate and Becky Alexander held off the Gusties with a time of 1:42.05.

Lucy Robson ‘09 was named Carleton’s swimmer of the meet after setting season bests in her four events: 100 breaststroke, 100 freestyle, 100 butterfly and 200 freestyle relay. She established lifetime personal records in the 100 freestyle and 100 butterfly.

One of the loudest cheers of the day was raised when senior Barb Marmet set a personal-best time in the 100 butterfly.