Women’s swimming and diving takes first Saint Mary’s Quandrangle meet

<men’s Swimming and Diving team opened decisively at the Saint Mary’s University Quadrangle meet last Saturday by sweeping the first and second places in the first race of the event, 200 yard medley relay, on their way to a convincing first place finish Carleton finished with 1034.5 points, beating Luther College, 849.5 points, Augsburg College, 147 points, and Saint Mary’s University, 389 points.

The Knights were led by Kate Alexander ’10, who won the 200 and 100 yard breaststroke, and the 200 yard individual medley, along with Kale Zicafoose ’11, Kaarin Taylor ’09, and Jen Gratz ’08, won the 200 yard Medley.

Zicafoose also had dominating performances in her victories in the 100 and 200 yard backstroke, winning the 200 by 9.28 seconds.

Carleton had a 1-2-3 finish in the 200 yard butterfly. Taylor won the race, beating Anna Gallagher ’11 by seven hundrethsof a second. Kelsey Ihinger ’10 came in third.

The Knighst also had swept the first three places in the 200 yard breaststroke.K. Alexander won,follwed by Jennie Miller ’09, and Mia Zutz ’10.

Carleton followed the 200 butterfly by taking four of the top five spots in the 50 yard freestyle. Gratz led the group by winning the race in 25.82 seconds, barley edging out Becky Alexander ’09 by just over a tenth of a second. Taylor, B. Alexander, and Louise Buckler ’09 had impressive times in taking sports two through four in the 100 yard butterfly.

The divers also had a strong performance as Irene Dennison ’10 and Sydney Weydemeyer ’11 came in second and third respectively in both the one and three meter dives.

Just as the Knights started the meet, they won the last relay, the 200 yard freestyle relay with a team of Zicafoose, Buckler, B. Alexander, and Karin Brown ’08 to in a time of 1:42.44. A fitting end to an impressive meet.

The Knights will be hosting the Carleton Mini Invite tomorrow at Thorpe pool. The first race is scheduled to being at noon.