Women’s tennis opens season with strong win at UW-Whitewater

<rleton College women’s tennis team got an early start to its season with a convincing 7-2 win over regional power UW-Whitewater. Newcomers Jeanny Zhang (Guangzhou, China/Dwight School), Sonya Romanenko (San Diego, Calif./Rancho Bernardo), and Taylor Thulson (Louisville, Colo./Niwot) each prevailed in both singles and doubles.

All three doubles matches were tightly contested. Thulson and Faith Yim (So./Orange, Calif./Villa Park) prevailed, 8-5, at the second slot, while Zhang and Romanenko notched an 8-6 triumph at third doubles. The Warhawks notched their first point by a 9-7 margin.
Upon moving to singles, Zhang cruised to the 6-1, 6-1 victory at the third spot; Ramanenko made quick work of her opponent for a 6-0, 6-0 result at the fourth slot; and Thulson registered a 6-3, 6-2 result at fifth singles.

Elizabeth Yim (So./Orange, Calif./Villa Park) picked up her first win of the year by a 6-4, 6-3 decision at the sixth slot, but the match of the day was Madeline Prins’ (Jr./Pacific Palisades, Calif./Palisades Charter) performance at second singles.

After dropping the first set, Prins came back and won a tiebreaker to claim the second set, then prevailed in the superbreaker to take the match by a 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (11-9) tally.

Carleton will take part in the ITA Regional Championship on Sept. 21-24 in St. Peter, Minn.