Knights improve to 7-1 with win over Concordia

< Vithoontien (Fy./Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School), Sahil Chhugani (So./Rochester, Minn./Century), and Kevin Hurley (Sr./Novi, Mich/Univ. of Detroit Jesuit) each won in both singles and doubles as the Carleton College men’s tennis team bested Concordia College, 8-1, and improved to 7-1 on the season.

The match started with doubles, and it was the tandem of Chhugani and Hurley that got things rolling for the Knights as they teamed on an 8-2 victory.

“Like an Olympic ice skating pair, Kevin and Sahil bring an element of artistry, athleticism, and frankly some danger to their match,” said Carleton head coach Stephan Zweifel.

Chhugani and Hurley later added straight-set triumphs at third and fourth singles.

Vithoontien started his day by teaming with Jordon O’Kelly (Jr./Lake Forest, Ill./Lake Forest) on an 8-2 triumph at first doubles. Vithoontien then notched a 6-2, 6-1 victory at first singles to improve to 7-0 in solo play this season.

Lewis White (So./Minneapolis, Minn./Breck) stayed unbeaten in 2018 as well thanks to his 6-4, 6-0 victory at fifth singles. Aaron Goodman (Jr./Minneapolis, Minn./St. Louis Park) and Jonas Lindholm-Uzzi (So./Germantown, N.Y./Red Hook) both won third-set tiebreakers to complete the scoring for Carleton.

The Knights face Augustana (S.D.) University, a NCAA D-II program on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 2 p.m. That match will be played in Rochester, Minn.