Cross Country Coach Receives Award

On the heels of the Carleton College women’s cross country team capturing another conference team title, Knights head coach Donna Ricks was recognized by her peers with her third-straight MIAC Women’s Cross Country Coach-of-the-Year award.

This is the eighth MIAC Cross Country Coach-of-the-Year honor for Ricks, who won the award in 1995, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014. She was also previously voted the MIAC Indoor Track and Field Coach-of-the-Year in 2012 and was tabbed the USTFCCCA Regional Coach-of-the-Year for outdoor track and field in 2014. Ricks guided her cross country team—which is currently ranked No. 14 in the nation—to its third-straight conference title on Oct. 31. The championship was also the Knights’ fourth in the last five years and seventh since 2004. Overall, it was the Knights’ eighth MIAC championship, which is the third- best total in conference history.

The Knights were tested at the 2015 conference meet but prevailed with a team total of 61 points and an 11-point margin of victory over second-place St. Thomas. Carleton placed two runners in the top eight, four in the top 14, and seven in the top 26, with four runners earning All-MIAC honors and two more receiving All-MIAC Honorable Mention accolades. Ricks’ team is the first MIAC squad to win three- straight women’s cross country championships since St. Thomas accomplished the same feat from 2006 to 2008.