Men’s Track topples records and races to Fourth Place Finish

<ed by Alex Polk’s (Sr./Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake Central) victory in the javelin throw and All-MIAC track performances from Jerry Cook-Gallardo (Fy./Moscow, Idaho/Moscow) and Hart Hornor (Jr./Seattle, Wash./Roosevelt), the Carleton College men’s track and field team finished fourth at the 2015 MIAC Outdoor Championships.

St. Thomas once again took home the team title, this time accumulating 164.50 points. Hamline was second at 138.50 points followed by St. Olaf (118), Carleton (88), and Concordia (83) in the 11-team field.

Day two of the conference meet began with a bang as Polk’s first heave of the day measured a personal best 56.59 meters (185’ 8”). He ended up winning the competition by nine feet.

Walter Edstrom (So./Plano, Texas/Plano West) and Jonah Barry (Jr./Madison, Wis./Madison West) both secured All-MIAC honorable mention by placing fourth and sixth, respectively, in the 1500-meter run. Edstrom clocked a personal-best time of 3:56.97 with Barry finishing barley a half-second later.

First-year Cook-Gallardo locked up in an epic with Thomas Feichtinger of Saint John’s during the finals of the 800-meter run. Cook-Gallardo had bested the Johnnie junior in both the 800-meter and 1000-meter races at the MIAC Indoor Championships, but today it was Feichtinger who pulled in front at the tape by only 0.06 seconds.

Hornor, who finished second in the 10,000-meter run on Friday night, was the only all-conference performer in the 10K to be back on the track Saturday to contest the 5,000-meter distance. Hornor proved up for the challenge and grabbed another second-place finish, this one coming in 14:57.64. Barry and Edstrom nabbed All-MIAC honorable mention once again as the duo placed fourth and sixth, respectively, in the 5K race.

The Knights may elect to send individuals to the last chance meet at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on Thursday. After that, the only other competition remaining on the schedule would be the NCAA Championships from May 21-23 in Canton, N.Y.

ALL-MIAC PERFORMANCES

(1st-3rd place in individual events, 1st place in relays)

800-meter run
2. Jerry Cook-Gallardo — 1:54.18

5000-meter run
2. Hart Hornor — 14:57.64

10,000-meter run
2. Hart Hornor — 30:40.80

4×800-meter relay
1. Carleton (Ben Withboe, Joe Haase, Noah Laack-Veeder, Jerry Cook-Gallardo) — 7:45.04 — new Carleton record & stadium record

Long Jump
3. Dwight Alexander — 6.62 meters

Javelin Throw
1. Alex Polk — 56.59 meters — personal best

Decathon
1. Jack Buckner — 5958 points 

ALL-MIAC HONORABLE MENTION

(4th-6th place in individual events, 2-6th place in relays)

1500-meter run
4. Walter Edstrom — 3:56.97 — personal best
6. Jonah Barry — 3:57.53 — personal best

5000-meter run
4. Jonah Barry — 15:06.80
6. Walter Edstrom — 15:19.94 — personal best

Hammer Throw
6. Jiatao Cheng — 46.84 meters

Decathlon
6. Evan McNeil — 5,412 points