Fourth place finish coupled with broken records

<ong>Ruth Steinke (Jr./Lima, N.Y./Honeoye Falls-Lima) won the steeplechase for the third straight year to headline 11 all-conference performances on Saturday as the Carleton College women’s track and field team finished fourth at the MIAC Championships.

Steinke’s winning time of 10:37.58 not only gave her a 31-second margin of victory, but it also broke the MIAC Championships record by nearly 10 seconds.

The two-day meet concluded with the 4×400-meter relay as Reilly Simon (Jr./Grapevine, Texas/Grapevine), Emma Russ (Jr./Inver Grove, Minn./Simley), Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville), and Emma Grisanzio (So./Carol Stream, Ill./Wheaton North) clocked a time of 3:54.08, breaking the school record. The quartet picked up All-MIAC honorable mention after finishing in third place.

“I wish I could capture the words to describe the team’s accomplishments,” said Carleton head coach Donna Ricks. “Every race, jump or throw, they really put forth their best efforts for their teammates. I am so proud of every one of them. They stepped up to the challenge of the MIAC and competed with heart. They accomplished things this team has never achieved before at conference: five 1500-meter qualifiers for the finals, scored four places in the 400 meters, three scorers in the long jump, new school record in the 4 x 400, and the list goes on.”

St. Thomas won its 11th consecutive conference title with 148 points. Concordia was next at 129.5 points followed by St. Olaf (107.5) and Carleton (104) in the 12-team field.

Colette Celichowski (Sr./Shorewood, Minn./Minnetonka) placed second in the 1500-meter run with her time of 4:37.22. Nicole Nipper (So./Minnetonka, Minn./Minnehaha Academy) picked up All-MIAC honorable mention thanks to her fourth-place result in 4:41.72.

Amelia Campbell (Jr./Sturgeon Bay, Wis./Sturgeon Bay) secured All-MIAC recognition for the fourth time this season (see chart below) as she completed the 100-meter hurdles, crossing the line third in 14.80.

Carleton had four runners in the nine-person finals for the 400-meter dash. Simon and Grisanzio both took home All-MIAC honorable mention after placing fourth and fifth, respectively. Wilson and Kayla McKinsey (Jr./North Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames) also added to the Knights’ point total by scoring in the event.

Russ posted a new personal-best time of 1:03.79 as she was second in the 400-meter hurdles.

One day after finishing fourth in the long jump, first-year Damali Britton (Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) placed second in the triple jump with a distance of 11.36 meters (37’ 3.25”).

“Great day for the team,” said Nicole Nipper. “I’m so happy for everyone. It was so much fun to see everyone not only having great races but also having such a fun time.”

The Knights may elect to send individuals to the last chance meet at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on Thursday. After that, the only other competition remaining on the schedule would be the NCAA Championships from May 21-23 in Canton, N.Y.

ALL-MIAC PERFORMANCES

(1st-3rd place in individual events, 1st place in relays) 

1500-meter run
2. Colette Celichowski — 4:37.22

100-meter hurdles
3. Amelia Campbell — 14.80

400-meter hurdles
2. Emma Russ — 1:03.79 — personal best

3000-meter steeplechase
1. Ruth Steinke — 10:37.58 — MIAC Championships record

Long Jump
2. Amelia Campbell — 5.27 meters

Triple Jump
2. Damali Britton — 11.36 meters

Heptathlon
1. Amelia Campbell — 4,970 points

ALL-MIAC HONORABLE MENTION

(4th-6th place in individual events, 2-6th place in relays)

400-meter dash
4. Reilly Simon — 57.90 —personal best
5. Emma Grisanzio — 58.49 — set personal best (58.25) during prelim
6. Ellie Wilson — 58.70

1500-meter run
6. Nicole Nipper — 4:41.72 — personal best

4×400-meter relay
3. Carleton (Reilly Simon, Emma Russ, Ellie Wilson, Emma Grisanzio) — 3:54.08 — Carleton record

4×800-meter relay
2. Carleton (Lindsay Chavez, Caroline Campbell, Dorrian Jaffe, Ruth Steinke) — 9:21.41

Long Jump
4. Damali Britton — 5.15 meters
5. Zoe Peterson — 5.13 meters — tied personal best

Javelin Throw
5. Amelia Campbell — 36.58 meters — personal best