After nearly missing the playoffs, Knights end season with wins

<rleton College baseball team closed the 2015 campaign with an 8-3 victory at Northland (Wis.) College. The Knights collected 13 hits—all singles—and got a stellar performance from the bullpen to secure the win and finish the year on a three-game win streak.

Carleton grabbed the early lead, pushing across a trio of unearned runs in the top of the first. The LumberJacks got a run back in the bottom of the inning and two more during a two-out rally in the second, knotting the score at 3-3.

The Knights moved back in front to stay with three runs in the third. Liam Howe (Fy./Lake Bluff, Ill./Lake Forest) delivered a two-run single, and Hayden Tsutsui (Jr./Northridge, Calif./Chatsworth) later plated Howe with a two-out single up the middle.

Handed the lead once again, the Carleton pitching staff took over and held the Northland lineup hitless over the final 7.0 innings. Starting pitcher Walker Froeling (Fy./Hanska, Minn./St. James) notched his second victory of the season after closing his 4.0-inning outing with a couple of hitless frames. Jack Violetta (Jr./Green Bay, Wis./Bay Port) took over in the fifth and mowed through the LumberJack lineup, tossing 4.0 perfect frames with six strikeouts. Sean Kelly (So./Washington, D.C./Woodrow Wilson) closed out the game at the season with a hitless ninth inning.

Tstusui, Willie Freimuth (So./Waunakee, Wis./Waunakee), Nolan Baker (Sr./Appleton, Wis./Appleton North), Jordan Zoellmer (Jr./Richfield, Minn./Richfield), and Adam Shaukat (So./Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y./Croton-Harmon) had two hits apiece to pace the Carleton attack.

Monday’s non-conference game also brought the curtain down on the collegiate careers of the three seniors on the Knights’ roster: Baker, Thaddaeus Gregory (Sr./Seattle, Wash./University Prep), and Andy May (Sr./Edina, Minn./Edina).