Golf team looks for an upswing after tough finish

The Carleton men’s golf team placed 15th out of 15 teams at the Bobby Krig Invitational on Sunday and Monday.

The young Knights lineup carded a 334 on the first day of play and sat in 14th place going into day two. The second day was 36-holes and the cold and windy conditions led to higher scores across the board. After posting a second round 335, the Knights were tied for 13th with Saint Mary’s and were leading St. Olaf by seven strokes. Yet, Carleton saw their lead slip away with a final round 342.

Junior Brian Herlihy (Danbury, Conn./Immaculate) and freshman Evan Anderson (Stillwater, Minn./ Stillwater) led the Knights, as both posted a three-round total of 254 and tied for 65th. Rookies Avery Tribus (Madison, Wis./Edgewood) and Perry Strong (Cincinnati, Ohio/ Loveland) tallied totals of 255 and 258 respectively. Senior captain Jorde Ranum (Spring Lake Park, Minn./Spring Lake Park) carded two solid rounds of 84 and 81, but struggled in the final 18-holes to bring his total to 262.

The week prior in a match-play format, the Carleton College men’s golf team fell to Bethany Lutheran College and host Saint Mary’s Uni- versity. The tournament format was set up as nine holes of scramble, nine holes of alternate shot, while the final nine holes of best ball was cancelled due to darkness.

Ned Rohrbach (Jr./Winnetka, Ill./New Trier) and Evan Anderson (Fy./Stillwater, Minn./Stillwater) paired up to win two points in their combined scramble and alternate shot matches, as did Brian Herlihy (Jr./Danbury, Conn./Immaculate) and Jorde Ranum (Sr./Spring Lake Park, Minn./Spring Lake Park). Perry Strong (Fy./Cincinnati, Ohio/Loveland) and Jeff Yoo (Fy./ Oak Park, Ill./Hinsdale Central) contributed 1.5 points to the Carleton total score of 5.5. Bethany Lutheran had 6.0 points while Saint Mary’s won the triangular meet with 6.5 points.

“The play was fairly good,” said Carleton head coach Jerry Erickson , ”considering that there were four first-year players on the team and none on the team had ever played the course before.”

The squad will get back its top performers from the fall season in All-MIAC player Ned Rohrbach (Jr./Winnetka, Ill./New Trier) and freshman David Bae (Round Rock, Texas) this coming season. The Knights will return to action this fall for practice along with a talented incoming group of freshmen.