Softball earns sweep in season finale at home

<lk about giving it your all. In her final two games for the Knights, senior captain Micaela LaRose (Waconia, Minn./Holy Family) had a field day in game one, going 4-for-4 at the plate with 3 RBI, including the walk-off single in the bottom of the sixth to end the contest early as the Carleton College softball team defeated visiting Martin Luther College by scores of 8-0 (6 inn.) and 4-2.

In addition to her prodigious presence at the plate in the first contest, LaRose also had an impressive day in the pitching circle, tossing her first career shutout and matching her career-high with eight strikeouts while allowing just three hits.

Carleton (11-27) started its dominant performance in the bottom of the third inning. With two outs and runners at first and second, Molly Steinberg (Fy./Santa Monica, Calif./Harvard Westlake) smashed a triple to right field, before being hit in by LaRose herself to give the Knights a 3-0 advantage over the visitors.

After LaRose hit another RBI single in the fifth inning, a trio of Carleton runs in the bottom of the sixth brought the lone senior on the roster back to the plate with Steinberg—who represented the game-sealing run—at second. LaRose struck true, singling to center field to secure the eight-run-rule victory.

In game two, Martin Luther (13-16) struck first in the top of the fourth to go up 1-0. Carleton tied the ballgame in the bottom portion of the frame via a Keelin Davis (Jr./Woodinville, Wash./Woodinville) RBI single and then added two more the following inning en route to the 4-2 win. Davis also enjoyed success pitching in game two, throwing 7.0 complete innings and striking out five.

The Knights do not return to action until this fall when practice begins.