Men’s track finishes first in front of home crowd

Jerry Cook-Gallardo (Fy./Moscow, Idaho/Moscow) and Colby Seyferth (Sr./Banks, Ore./Banks) both won individual events and ran a portion of the victorious 4×400-meter relay at the Carleton Relays that the Carleton Men’s Track and Field Team hosted at Laird Stadium.

Cook-Gallardo won the 800-meter run with a time of 1:52.09. He also ran leadoff for the Knights’ 4×400. He handed the baton off to Evan McNeil (Sr./Burnsville, Minn./Academy of Holy Angels), and the next pass went to Arnaud Kpachavi (Sr./San Gregorio, Calif./Woodside Priory School), who pulled the Knights into second place before the final exchange. Seyferth—who trimmed nearly a second off his previous best in winning the 400 hurdles with a time of 54.32—took the lead mid-way through his lap and pulled away down the home stretch as the Knights’ time of 3:19.81 is tops in the MIAC this season.

Seyferth also established a new personal best in three other events: the 100-meter dash (10.99), shot put (12.51 meters), and javelin throw (49.15 meters).

Other top-three results for the Knights include:

Walter Edstrom (So./Plano, Tex-as/Plano West) was the runner-up in the 5000-meter run with a personal-best time of 15:27.67

Jack Buckner (Fy./ Seattle, Wash./Northwest) and Alex Polk (Sr./Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake Central) finished 2-3 in the javelin at 54.30 meters and 53.69 meters respectively.

The Knights could have representation at three meets next week: the Macalester Twilight on Thursday, April 23, the Drake Relays, and the Gustavus–Drake Alternative.

Following this weekend’s competition the Knights have two days of rest before returning for a home dual against rival St. Olaf.