Gallardo continues success with MIAC honors

While most students relax and enjoy spring break, Carleton College rookie runner Jerry Cook-Gallardo (Moscow, Idaho/Moscow) was all business in a pair of impressive performances in California. The freshman posted the MIAC’s top two times in the 800-meter run this season with a pair of top three finishes, and he also helped two Knight relay teams finish in the top three, all in a two-day span.For his performance, Cook-Gallardo was honored on Wednesday with the first MIAC Men’s Outdoor Track Athlete-of-the-Week award of 2015.

Cook-Gallardo started his outdoor season with a then-MIAC-best time of 1:52.3 in the 800-meter run to win the race by six seconds at the Santa Barbara Easter Relays on March 20. A day later, he was even faster, finishing the 800 in 1:51.09 and coming in third behind only a Division I runner and a decorated unattached competitor at the Westmont Collegiate Classic. That same day, Cook-Gallardo anchored Carleton’s victorious 4×800-meter relay team (7:48.60) and helped the 4×400-meter relay team finished third (3:29.09). This is Cook-Gallardo’s second MIAC Athlete-of-the-Week award of 2015, after winning the same honor once during the indoor season.

Though the outdoor season just got started, Carleton will only have two regular-season meets in Minnesota to prepare for the 2015 MIAC Outdoor Track and Field Championships. The team is on a break until April 11, when it will compete at the Hamline Invitational in St. Paul, and the Knights conclude the regular season by hosting the Carleton Relays in Northfield, Minn., on April 18. The meet will begin Saturday morning at 10am.