Tennis routs ranked foe

The Carleton College women’s tennis team hit the road for a neutral-site, non-conference get-together with Wheaton (Ill.) College. The Knights secured an 8-1 triumph in the battle of regionally-ranked squads. Carleton, which is ranked No. 8 in the central region—and No. 35 in the nation—improved to 10-1 on the season, while the Thunder, ranked No. 14 in the region, slipped to 13-5 overall.

The Knights set the early tone during doubles action. The un-ranked duo of Mikayla Becich (Jr./ Bradfordwoods, Pa./North Allegheny) and Caitlin Shea (So./Joliet, Ill./Joliet Township West) prevailed, 9-8 (7-5), in a tight battle at first doubles against the region’s eighth-ranked tandem of Julie Buursma and Katie Park.

Carleton’s second doubles pairing of Alana Danieu (Fy./East Auro- ra, N.Y./East Aurora) and Joyce Yu (Jr./Taipei, Taiwan/Taipei American School) had an easier time, posting an 8-0 win. Grace Davis (Jr./Neen- ah, Wis./Neenah) and Caitlin Eichten (So./Plymouth, Minn./Wayzata) made it a Carleton doubles sweep with their 8-6 victory at the third spot.

In singles, rookies Danielle Vasiliev (Fy./Lincolnshire, Ill./Ste- venson) and Danieu prevailed in super tiebreakers while Yu, Claire Spencer (Jr./Newport News, Va./ Menchville), and Shea won win straight sets at third, fourth, and sixth singles, respectively.

Carleton returns to MIAC play on Wednesday, April 8 when the Knights make the two-mile trek to face cross-town St. Olaf College at 3:45 p.m. Carleton leads the conference with a 6-0 ledger in MIAC matches. The Oles enter the match undefeated in conference action as well.