Women’s track: “Tremendous efforts and results”

<lass="page layoutArea column" title="Page 7">

Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) took command of the 400-meter dash from the start and posted the winning time with a season-best 58.82 at the University of Minnesota’s Parents Day Open. The meet provides tough competition for the Carleton College women’s indoor track and field team as they face student-athletes from the NCAA Division I, II, and III levels.

“Tremendous efforts and results overall,” said Carleton head coach Donna Ricks. “This is the time of year that we really start to see our times come down. This is where it starts to get fun! The entire field of runners was impressive today. The team should come away from this meet feeling confident and fired up for the remainder of the season.”

Caroline Campbell (Jr./Concord, Mass./Concord-Carlisle Regional) clipped more than five seconds off of her season best and ran 2:22.97 in the 800-meter run to place eighth over- all. Sophie Glassford (Jr./Mishawaka, Ind./Penn) took more than seven seconds off of her previous best time this season and won her heat of the 1000-meter run in 3:10.09.

Emma Grisanzio (So./Carol Stream, Ill./Wheaton North) took ninth in the finals of the 60-meter dash after she clocked a time of 8.15 during the prelims, a mark that ranks her second in team history.

Ruth Steinke (Jr./Lima, N.Y./Hon- eoye Falls-Lima) was the top Division III runner in both the mile (5:01.28) and 3000-meter run (10:04.71), placing second and third overall, respectively. She established a new personal best during the longer race.

Colette Celichowski (Sr./Shorewood, Minn./Minnetonka) ran to a fourth-place result in the 3000-meter run with Lindsey Chavez (Fy./Westminster, Colo./Holy Family) placing sixth in the same event with times of 10:17.54 and 10:30.67, respectively. “Colette ran great and is looking stronger every meet coming off her injury,” noted Ricks.

Chavez dropped more than 14 seconds off her fastest time of the season. Carleton’s entry in the 4×400-meter relay posted a season-best, taking third overall after winning the second heat in 4:03.94. Reilly Simon (Jr./Grapevine, Texas/Grapevine) opened the event before giving way to Campbell, who was neck and neck for the lead at the race’s midpoint. A fast handoff helped Grisanzio claim a two-step lead, and Wilson ran a tremendous anchor to give Carleton nearly a five-second cushion over the next team.

Damali Britton (Fy./Phoenix, Ariz./Desert Vista) registered four of the top six marks in the triple jump competition and claimed second place as she registered a top distance of 10.54 meters (34’7”).

Before Carleton makes its final preparations for the MIAC Championships in two weeks, the Knights will take part in the Ole Open Qualifier held at St. Olaf next Friday, Feb. 27. This is the final chance for all members of the track team to qualify for MIAC’s.