Men’s swimming snags third at MIACs

Saturday saw the Carleton College men’s swimming and diving team move up one spot in the team competition, finishing fourth overall. The Knights captured All-MIAC performances from Alex Mathson (So./Verona, Wis./Verona) and Evan Harris (Sr./Lexington, S.C./ Lexington) on the final day of the MIAC Championships.

St. Thomas won its 12th MIAC title with 808 points, followed by St. Olaf (604.5), Carleton (543.5), and St. John’s (510) in the field of eight teams.

The Knights began the final day of the conference meet with the 1650-yard freestyle. Mathson notched a second-place finish, earning all-conference status as he posted a personal-best time of 16:27.09, ranking second all-time at Carleton. Andrew Cely (Sr./Plano, Texas/Plano) aided the team’s point total as he took 15th place with a lifetime best of 17:45.81.

Jonathan Brodie (Jr./Fremont, Calif./Washington) snagged an eighth-place finish in the 200-yard backstroke. His prelim time of 1:55.45 was a season best as was the mark Aaron Schwab (So./Elk River, Minn./Elk River) posted [1:56.63] in winning the consolation final.

The next event, the 100-yard freestyle, saw Evan Lahr (So./ Monitcello, Minn./Monticello) finish in fifth place with a season-best time of 46.62. George McAneny (Jr./Santa Cruz, Calif./ Santa Cruz) took seventh place in the race, finishing at a season-best time of 46.82. Stephen Grinich (Jr./ McMinnville, Ore./McMinnville) touched at a new PR of 46.34 in winning the consolation final.

Harris earned All-MIAC honors in the 200-yard breaststroke. Harris notched a season-best and NCAA “B” cut time at 2:03:68 during the prelims and was unable to better that while grabbing second place on Saturday night at 2:05.98. Noah Brackenbury (Fy./Cincinnati, Ohio/Indian Hill) finished in seventh place in the competition after touching at a lifetime-best time of 2:11.54 during the prelims to rank seventh in team history. In the consolation heat, Grant Terrien (So./Bloomington, Minn./John F Kennedy School) posted a nearly 10-second personal best with time of 2:16.65 during the morning qualifying swim.

In the 200-yard butterfly, Wilson Josephson (Jr./Mount Hermon, Mass./Northfield Mount Hermon) finished in fourth place with a career-best time of 1:55.04, a mark that pushed him into second place in the Carleton record book. Eli Danson (Sr./Wausau, Wis./Wausau East) took eighth place with a time of 1:58.74, which slots him eighth in team history. Competing in the consolation final, Colin Lau (Fy./ Minnetonka, Minn./Hopkins) posted a lifetime best of 1:57.52 to win the heat and jump into fifth in team annals. Andrew Cely record- ed a lifetime best 2:04.74 during the prelims and eventually grabbing 15th place.

The final race of the MIAC Championships is the 400-ayrd freestyle relay. The Knights entry of Lahr, McAneny, Josephson, and Grinich took fourth place as they combined on a season best time of 3:05.71, which ranks third in team history.