Knights remain undefeated after rout of Grinnel

The Carleton College men’s tennis team continued its barnstorming tour of the Upper Midwest with an 8-1 triumph over regionally-ranked Grinnell College. The victory improved the Knights’ record to 7-0 this season.

“The final score is deceptive,” said Carleton head coach Stephan Zweifel. “This was a dogfight from the first point to the last. I am very proud of the way we competed against a top team in the region.”

The Pioneers entered the day ranked No. 12 in the region but saw Carleton claim all three doubles matches.

The match of the day came at first doubles where Erik Johnson (Jr./Grand Forks, N.D./Red River) and Andrew Hwang (Sr./Brookfield, Wis./University School) overcame a 5-2 deficit to prevail 9-7.

“That comeback was amazing,” said Zweifel. “Andrew and Erik once again displayed the tenacity ofaRottweilertryingtodislodgea chicken bone stuck in its throat.”

Carleton got a narrow 9-7 result from Ezra Frankel (So./Lincoln, Mass./Belmont Hill School) and Kevin Mei (Fy./Ann Arbor, Mich./Huron) in the second slot, while Mauricio Gonzalez (Sr./La Paz, Bolivia/American Cooperative School) and Kevin Hurley (Fy./Novi, Mich./ Univ. of Detroit Jesuit) secured an 8-6 victory at third doubles.

Frankel put the Knights on the cusp of the win with his 6-0, 6-1 victory at sixth singles. “Ezra was in the zone today in singles. He could have walkedonwater”Zweifelsaid.“Although admittedly that is not that difficult to do during February in Minnesota.”

The other singles matches were closely contested. Johnson prevailed 6-2, 7-5 at the first spot, and Mei was victorious by a 7-5, 6-1 tally. Hwang battled back from down a set to win 1-6, 6-4, 6-3 in the third slot. Gonzalez won at fourth singles 6-4, 7-6.

Carleton will take a break from competition before returning to action on Sunday, March 1 against the University of St. Thomas.