Bright spots, but Knights football falls to Auggies

<ite dominating several key statistical categories, Carleton College was unable to overcome an early deficit in falling to Augsburg 16-38. The Knights averaged nearly 1.5 yards more per pass completion and 10 yards more per punt than the Auggies, had a 16-10 post-first-quarter scoring advantage, and held a 5.6 percent edge in fourth-down conversions, but unfortunately winning on paper does not always translate into on-field success.

Offensively, quarterback John Hollowed ’08 led the Knights with 199 passing yards, and added an 80-yard hook-and-ladder touchdown throw to receiver Chris Gardner ’09 (by way of Matt Frank ’09). Frank (he’s an All-American), a wideout, led the Knights with 8 receptions, and he and Gardner combined for 220 receiving yards. Leading the ground attack was running back R.J. Jackson ’08, who moved into 5th place on Carleton’s all-time rushing list with a 10-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

On the defensive side of the ball the Knights, as usual, turned in another stellar performance. Carleton gave up a paltry 2.1 yards per rush thanks in large part to an amazing performance by safety Drew Ziller ’09, who played the role of Ed Reed in amassing 14 total tackles. Realizing early that trying to run through Ziller & Friends was a futile effort, Augsburg was forced into going to the air 65 times. Even faced with this absurd number of pass attempts, the Knights held the Auggie’s top receiver, Royce Winford ’09, to a mere 20 receptions, a full 4 shy of the all-time NCAA record.

The Carleton Cheerboys made their presence felt with their usual combination of sharp wit and team spirit, much to the joy of a large number of Carleton faithful. Unfortunately, the Augsburg mascot failed to make its promised appearance, leaving fans still unsure of what exactly an Auggie is.

The Knights will continue their streak of ridiculously named opponents when they travel to Concordia College this weekend to face off against the Cobbers. For those of you making the trek north to Moorhead, be sure to visit beautiful Fergus Falls, “The Heart and Soul of America,” just off I-94. Don’t forget to try the biscuits-and-gravy at the Viking Café, located downtown, and stop by Grotto Park to see the world’s largest statue of an otter, nature’s noble ruler.