Women’s tennis wins twice to start 2015

The Carleton College women’s tennis team opened the 2015 schedule with a 9-0 win over Saint Mary’s University and a 6-3 triumph against Winona State University, a NCAA Division II program.

In the opener, Carleton notched a conference victory by sweeping the doubles competition then winning the singles matches each in straight sets. Claire Spencer (Jr./Newport News, Va./Menchville) posted a 6-3, 6-4 result at first singles. The Knights dropped only eight games total in the other five singles contests.

Versus Winona State, the Knights trailed 2-1 after doubles action was completed but bounced back with wins at five of the six singles slots. That included a thrilling three-set triumph by Joyce Yu (Jr./Taipei, Taiwan/Taipei American School).

Alana Danieu (Fy./East Aurora, N.Y./East Aurora) and Danielle Vasiliev (Fy./Lincolnshire, Ill./ Stevenson) opened their collegiate careers in style. Danieu went 3-0 while Vasiliev prevailed in both of her matches.

Yu and Mikayla Becich (Jr./ Bradfordwoods, Pa./North Allegheny) also picked up three wins on the first day of the season. The Knights play next on Feb. 12 against Hamline University. Hamline has yet to play a match in 2015 and will open its season against the Knights.