Peterson breaks triple jump record at MSU Open

The Carleton College women’s track and field team took part in the MSU Open this weekend, a meet held at Minnesota State-Mankato. The field was largely comprised of NCAA Division II programs, giving the Knights a solid early-season challenge.

Zoe Peterson (So./Bellingham, Wash./Squalicum) broke the school’s triple jump record with a distance of 10.72 meters on her first attempt. That eclipsed the previous standard of 10.61 that Peterson shared with Busola Akinwale ’98.

The other top highlight of the weekend came in the 3,000-meter run on Friday night. Junior Ruth Steinke (Lima, N.Y./Honeoye Falls-Lima) won the race in 10:06.69, a time bettered by only five D-III runners entering the weekend. She finished with nearly a 13-second margin of victory and now ranks third all-time at Carleton in the event.

Teammates Nicole Nipper (So./Minnetonka, Minn./ Minnehaha Academy), Emily Kaegi (Fy./Williamstown, Mass./Mount Greylock), and Dorry Jaffe (Fy./Co- lumbus, Ohio/Upper Arlington) took third, fourth, and sixth in the same race.

Steinke was back on the track Saturday to take part in the 800-meter run. She took second out of 28 runners with a time of 2:19.92, good enough for a stop in the national rankings in that event as well.

Carleton student-athletess turned in the top Division III results for several events.

Kayla McKinsey (Jr./North Easton, Mass./Oliver Ames) posted a time of 8.54 the prelim round of the 60-meter dash.

Ellie Wilson (Sr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) registered a time of 27.15 in the 200-meter dash, and clocked 1:00.64 in 40—meter dash.

Emily Phillips-Longley (Jr./Saint Paul, Minn./Blake School) trimmed five seconds off her seed time in the 1000-meter run, crossing the line at 3:16.90.

Nipper followed up her third-place finish in Friday’s 3,000-meter race by placing sixth overall in the mile run with a time of 5:17.61.

Claire Trujillo (So./Anchorage, Alaska/Grace Christian) finished the 5000-meter run in 19:20.97.

Emma Grisanzio (So./Carol Stream, Ill./Wheaton North) jumped 1.51 meters in the high jump, and Katie Richards (Sr./Needham, Mass./ Buckingham, Browne & Nichols) cleared 2.95 meters in the pole vault.

Carleton’s entry in the 4×400-meter relay finished third in its heat at 4:23.18.

The Knights will step away from competition until Feb. 7 when Carleton travels south to participate in the Wartburg (Iowa) College Select.