Swim suffers close loss

The Carleton College men’s swimming team was nearly even with Saint John’s University on Sat- urday, but the host Johnnies benefit- ted from receiving no competition in the diving events en route to a 136-101 dual meet score.

“Exciting meet, and it went back and forth throughout the entire contest which made it super fun!” said Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “Coming in, we knew we did not have the ability to counter their diving points, which meant we had to step up big in the swimming events to make up those 32 points. The guys came close by ramping up their swimming efforts, but in the end we fell short of having a few wins. I was proud of how the guys swam and how they narrowed the point gap. Giving the training we have been doing, the energy that the guys brought to the meet today, and the times they posted give me great confidence in what lies ahead for them as we head toward the MIAC meet.”

Alex Mathson won the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:14.94. That was good for an impressive 40-second margin of victory. “He showed great dominance and poise in setting the tone for the meet,” said Clark. Later on, Mathson pulled off the distance double with a win in the 500-yard freestyle, clocking a time of 4:59.47, better than a 15-second gap in front of the second-place finisher.

Aaron Reynolds turned in gritty finishes in both distance freestyle races, helping him be this week’s recipient of the “Can of Corn” award.

Evan Harris continued his fine season with victories in the 200- yard freestyle (1:47.45) and 100- yard breaststroke (1:00.35).

Carleton will celebrate the four seniors on the men’s roster when the Knights take part in the their final dual meet of the 2014-15 campaign next Saturday at St. Olaf College.