Five players finish in double figures as Knights power past Augsburg in overtime

Five players finished in double figures—paced by Kevin Grow’s (Fy./Circle Pines, Minn./Centen- nial) double-double—as the Car- leton College men’s basketball team secured a 71-65 overtime victory against visiting Augsburg College.

“Overall a good team effort tonight,” said Carleton head coach Guy Kalland. “We were solid defensively for the majority of the game against a very talented Augsburg team. Offensively, we took care of the ball and had nice balance with our scoring. Overall, it was a quality team win for the group.”

The Knights (8-9, 5-7 MIAC) opened up a 55-44 lead with 3:11 remaining, but the Auggies (9- 8, 6-6 MIAC) put together a late surge and sent the teams to overtime knotted at 62-62.

This was Carleton’s second straight overtime contest. Unlike the shooting woes that plagued the Knights in Saturday’s loss, this time they made 4-of-6 shots in the extra period while limiting Augsburg to a 1-of-7 shooting performance during the same time.

The Auggies scored the first basket of overtime, but then the Carleton post players took over. John Eckert (Jr./North Judson, Ind./North Judson) had consecutive conversions from in close, and Grow added a pair of tough layups to seal the victory.

Grow finished the contest with 12 points and a game-best 12 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the campaign. He was joined atop the scoring list by Peter Bakker-Arkema (So./Ann Arbor, Mich./Skyline), who match his season high with a dozen points and dished out a game-high five assists.

Shane McSparron (Sr./Apple Valley, Minn./Eastview) contributed 10 points, as did Tianen Chen (So./Germantown Hills, Ill./Metamora Township), and Mitchell Biewen (So./Golden Valley, Minn./Armstrong).

In addition to the quintet of players in double figures, Carleton’s balanced attack also saw contributions of eight points from Eckert and seven points from Beau Smit (So./White Bear Lake, Minn./White Bear Lake).

Augsburg point guard Parker Hines finished with a game-high 16 points. Brett Rasmussen added 15 points.

The Knights now turn their attention to crosstown rival St. Olaf College, which visits West Gym for a women’s-men’s doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 31. The Knights played a close game with the Oles losing in the final seconds in their first contest. Look for the Knights to even the series. The women’s game starts at 1 p.m. with the men’s contest slated for a 3 p.m. tip. Live video will be available via Knights Online. Live audio can also be heard on KDHL 920 AM in the Northfield/Faribault area.