Womens’ B-ball Loses Tough Game

The Carleton College women’s basketball team made the journey across the state to face Concordia College, but the Knights were unable to snap their recent slide and absorbed a 68-38 defeat.

The Knights (5-11, 3-6 MIAC) struggled to knock down shots all evening, making just 29 percent of their attempts in the first half and only 34 percent for the game. Carleton finished the contest 3-of-17 from beyond the arc. Concordia (9-7, 5-4 MIAC) shot 46 percent overall in both halves in snapping the Cobbers’ three-game losing streak.

“Concordia was the better team tonight,” said Carleton head coach Cassie Kosiba. “We refused to play within our system offensively, and it showed on the scoreboard.”

Michele Arima (Jr./Valencia, Calif./West Ranch) paced Carleton with nine points. Skylar Tsutsui (Sr./Northridge, Calif./Harvard-Westlake) contributed eight points and is now tied with Akemi Arzouman ’13 for 10th place on the Knights’ all-time scoring list with 1,027 career tallies.

While Carleton was having difficult scoring at one end of the court, the Cobbers’ Erin Januschka had no such problems at the other end. The Concordia senior posted a perfect shooting performance of 8-for-8 from the field and 5-of-5 at the charity stripe. Her 21 points led all scorers and paced three Cobbers in double figures.

The Knights will look to stop their four-game skid when Carleton visits Macalester College for a hoops doubleheader on Saturday, Jan. 24.