Polk’s 19 Tackles Redeem Knights’ Senior-Day Rout

<lass="page section layoutArea" title="Page 1">

It was Senior Day at Laird Stadium and the Carleton College football team recognized the 10 seniors on the roster during a special pre-game ceremony. Unfortunately, the national No. 23-ranked University of St. Thomas squad crashed the party as the Tommies prevailed in a lop-sided affair.

St. Thomas (7-2, 5-2 MIAC) amassed 621 yards of total offense compared to 137 yards for the Knights (1-8, 0-7 MIAC).

Quarterback Zach Creighton’s (So./ Lakeville, Minn./Lakeville North) 15-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter accounted for Carleton’s points.

Defensively, Alex Polk (Crystal Lake, Ill./ Crystal Lake Central) was all over the field, finishing with a forced fumble and a game-high 19 tackles. That is tied for the fifth-highest single-game tackle figure in recorded Carleton team history.

While today’s game was their last time playing before the fans at home, next week’s contest will lower the curtain on the playing careers of the 10 seniors on the Carleton roster: offensive linemen Ames Bryant (International Falls, Minn./Falls), Dane Christensen (Aspen, Colo./Aspen), and Eric Wittenburg (Eagan, Minn./Eagan); defensive linemen Phil Glass (San Diego, Calif./Scripps Ranch) and Christian Hansen (Pleasant Prairie, Wis./St. Joseph); linebackers Dan Cook (Inver Grove Heights, Minn./South St. Paul), Zach Heinrich (Champlin, Minn./Champlin Park), and Luke Reppe (Northfield, Minn./Northfield); and defensive backs Pat Dale (Fox Island, Wash./ Charles Wright Academy) and Polk.