Three Knights Earn MIAC Athlete of the Week Awards

<lass="page section layoutArea" title="Page 1">

Cross Country runners Hart Horner and Ruth Steinke and Volleyball player Lucy Stevens made Carleton proud this past week as they earned MIAC Athlete of the Week awards.

Hart Horner earned his third weekly award for his performance Saturday, October 18 at the UW-Oshkosh AAE Invitational. Hornor completed the course in 24:47.1, and he was the 10th overall runner and sixth Division III runner to cross the finish line. His 10th- place finish came among a field of 664 run- ners, and the Knights were 13th overall in a field of 45 teams that included 14 nationally-ranked D-II and D-III teams, including four top 10-ranked squads. The Knights finished ahead of No. 13-ranked Johns Hopkins and No. 26 Chicago. Hornor’s great fall includes back-to-back MIAC Athlete-of-the-Week awards on Sept. 9 and 16.

Steinke crossed the finish line in just 21:27.9, which is a new career best time, and she was 10th overall in a 559-runner field, and finished fourth among Division III runners. Despite missing two of their top runners, Steinke helped the Knights to a 13th-place team finish in a field of 42 teams. The talented field included 12 teams that were nationally ranked in either Division II or III, with seven of those ranked in the top 10. Steinke was also honored with the MIAC’s weekly award on Oct. 7.

As the 2014 volleyball season progresses, Carleton first-year Lucy Stevens continues to make herself a more and more integral part of the Knights’ game plan. Last week, the rookie middle hitter rose to new heights while leading her team to three wins, including two MIAC victories, as she racked up 43 kills with a .467 hitting percentage and six total blocks.

Stevens started the week with an incredible 17-kill performance with a .556 hitting percentage in a 3-1 MIAC win over St. Catherine on Wednesday. She had identical stat lines Saturday in a pair of Carleton 3-0 victories. She finished with 13 kills, a .417 hitting percentage and three block assists in both a MIAC win over Macalester (3-0) and a nonconference win over UW-La Crosse. This season, Stevens has the fourth-best hitting percentage (.330) in the MIAC in over- all matches, and her 103 kills in conference matches ranks third in the league.