Women’s Tennis Secures Regular Season MIAC Title

<egular-season title already in hand before the day even began, the Carleton College women’s tennis team completed its perfect run through the conference schedule with a commanding 9-0 victory over Macalester College in a neutral site contest. Four different players were victorious for the Knights in both singles and doubles.
Carleton (16-2, 10-0 MIAC) is ranked No. 24 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association national poll. The Knights won the MIAC regular-season crown for the fifth time overall (1985, 1986, 1987, 2012, and 2014) and the second time in the last three seasons.

On Sunday evening, Anne Lombardi ‘14 and Joyce Yu ‘16 picked up their seventh conference victory with an 8-5 result at first doubles. Mikayla Becich ‘16 and Grace Davis ‘16 won their sixth straight doubles match, prevailing 8-2 at the second slot, while Seniors Katherine Greenberg and Molly Hemes cruised to an 8-0 triumph at third doubles as the duo remained undefeated in MIAC play.

Upon moving to singles, the Knights dominated play and won five of the six competitions. The lone tightly contested match was at second singles where Claire Spencer ‘16 rallied back after dropping the first set to pick up her eighth MIAC win by a 3-6, 6-2, 10-4 tally.

In the other singles matches, Lombardi, Becich, Hemes, Yu, and Davis dropped a grand total of only six games as each prevailed in straight sets. The Knights roster went a combined 55-5 in conference singles matches this season.