Men’s and Women’s Tennis End Winter Season on Winning Note

<ong>Men Top Bethel

Patton McClelland ‘17 aided in a thrilling doubles win and then dethroned the reigning MIAC Player-of-the-Week in singles as the Carleton College men’s tennis team dispatched Bethel University by an 8-1 margin.

The win sends the Knights (5-2, 3-0 MIAC) into a hiatus from competition as Carleton gears up for winter term finals prior to traveling to Hilton Head Island, S.C. for its spring break competitions.

“I’m very proud of the way this team represented Carleton this winter season,” said head coach Stephan Zweifel. “Although we are a young team, the guys are true sportsmen, and it is fun to watch them compete.”

McClelland and Christian Nagy ‘16 rallied for a 9-8 (8-6) victory at second doubles. McClelland carried the momentum from that victory over to post a 6-4, 6-3 triumph at fourth singles as he topped Luke Palmquist, who was voted the conference men’s tennis player-of-the-week on Tuesday.

Like McClelland, Nagy and McCoy Becker ‘14 also notched wins in singles and doubles on the evening.

Women Beat Defending Champ St. Kate’s

In a matchup of the last two MIAC regular-season champions, the Carleton College women’s tennis team rallied for a 6-3 victory over the defending champs from St. Catherine University. Katherine Greenberg ‘14 and Molly Hemes ‘14 both prevailed in singles and combined on a doubles win for the Knights, accounting for three of the squad’s victories.

The Wildcats (3-2, 2-1 MIAC) carried a lengthy conference win streak into today’s contest, having won their last 13 regular-season contests against MIAC opponents. That included a narrow 5-4 win over Carleton (7-1, 5-0 MIAC) last February, the Knights’ only loss to a conference opponent over the last three seasons as Carleton is now 28-1—during the regular season and postseason combined—against MIAC teams over that span.

St. Catherine appeared poised to repeat last season’s feat as the Wildcats grabbed a 2-1 lead after doubles.

Although St. Kate’s picked up another victory in the matchup of regionally-ranked singles players atop the lineup, the Carleton depth was too much for the Wildcats to handle as the Knights took the other five matches.

Greenberg, Claire Spencer ‘16, Mikayla Becich ‘16, and Joyce Yu ‘16 each posted a straight-set win. Hemes registered a 6-3, 3-6, and 10-7 decision for her conquest at fourth singles.

Earlier in the week, the Knights bounced back after a loss against D-I University of Minnesota with a return to D-III and MIAC play with a 9-0 victory over foes from Bethel University. Molly Hemes and Joyce Yu both recorded victories during singles and doubles action.

Carleton swept the three doubles matches and won five singles matches in straight sets.

Claire Spencer played the most dramatic contest of the evening, rallying from a set down to prevail 5-7, 6-4, 10-6 at first singles.

Carleton will step away from competition until heading to Hilton Head, S.C. for the annual Spring Break competition trip. The No. 29-ranked Knights will play four matches between March 24-27 as they face three regionally-ranked foes, including a pair of nationally-ranked opponents.