Women’s Tennis Suffers First Loss at Hands of D-I U of M

<metimes another team just has your number. For the Carleton College women’s team, that’s the case with Sunday’s opponent, a squad that has handed the Knights (5-1) their first loss of the year in five of the last six seasons. Of course, you will not find any members of the Carleton program complaining because Sunday’s setback came by a 7-0 score to the University of Minnesota, a NCAA Division I program.

The loss came on the heels of Saturday’s convincing 9-0 win against Concordia College, which gave the Knights their third conference win of the young season. The Concordia match featured shutouts from Seniors Molly Hemes and Katherine Greenberg as well as sophomores Mikayla Becich and Julia Krumholz  who each dominated their respective singles matches. The Knights also enjoyed doubles success in the Concordia matchup, as Anne Lombardi ‘14 and Joyce Yu ‘16 posted an 8-0 triumph at the first spot, as did Clare Spencer ‘16 and Caroline Greenberg ‘17 in third doubles.

Sunday marked the sixth time in seven seasons under head coach Luciano Battaglini, that the Knights had the opportunity to challenge themselves by playing two levels up against a member of the Big 10 conference. Battaglini, a former assistant coach for the Golden Gophers, arranged this unique opportunity as a way to prepare his squad to play against tough Division III competition. The two teams did not play in 2011 due to a winter storm.

Sunday night, the Golden Gophers swept the doubles matches, then posted straight-set victories in all six singles contests en route to improving to 14-0 against Carleton all time.

For the second straight year, Becich and Grace Davis ‘16 won the most doubles games for the Knights. After dropping an 8-5 result a year ago, the duo fell 8-2.
Anne Lombardi demonstrated why she is regionally ranked as she won four games at first singles.

Carleton faces Bethel University on Friday, Feb. 28 at Life Time Fitness in Lakeville, Minn.