Volleyball Victorious at Home Against UW River Falls

<ren Halls ‘15 claimed a team-high nine kills and five blocks, while hitting .364 to lead the Carleton College volleyball team to a straight set victory over the University of Wisconsin-River Falls Wednesday evening at West Gym. The Knights won by set scores of 25-22, 25-17, 25-18 to claim their second-consecutive three-set sweep.

Both teams played even through the first portion of the first set, as a kill by Caroline Duke ‘17 tied the score at 14-14.  The Knights went on to score six out of the following seven points, including two blocks and a kill from Halls, to take a 20-15 lead. River Falls rallied to tie the score at 22-22, but Carleton was too strong down the stretch, as the Knights scored the final three points of the set to earn an exciting 25-22 win and early match lead.

After facing an early five-point deficit at 6-1 in the second set, the Knights rallied to tie the score at 11-11 after a kill from Duke. The teams traded points until a Claire Willeck ‘15 kill broke a 13-13 tie and ignited a 12-4 scoring run for the Knights, which lead to a 25-17 set victory.

Carleton used the momentum to build a 21-14 lead in the third set, and eventually earned a 25-18 set win and match victory.

“I was very pleased with how we played tonight,” stated Carleton head coach Heidi Jaynes. “Our passing was terrific and was critical in setting up our offense throughout the match.”

Camille Benson ‘16, who entered tonight’s match ranked first among MIAC participants in digs, added to her league leading total with 19 tonight. Duke added a team-high 15 assists, to go along with seven kills and a five blocks (one solo), while Rachel Johnson ‘14 recorded eight kills and three blocks (one solo).

Jean Theis led the River Falls offensive attack with 10 kills and three blocks (one solo).

Carleton will close out the regular season this Friday with a home match against Hamline University at 7 p.m. Friday’s contest will mark the final home game for Carleton seniors, Rachel Johnson, Sami Kemper, Chloe Nelson, and Ellie Schmidt.