Men’s Swimming and Divind Starts the Season Strong

<rleton College men’s swimming team took part in the UST Relays on Saturday. The Knights were joined in the six-team field by U of Chicago, St. Olaf, St. Thomas, Hamline, and Saint Mary’s. The day’s racing included nine relay events.

“This meet has always served two primary purposes for us,” explained Carleton head coach Andy Clark. “First, it has been an excellent opportunity for us to gauge where we are at a very early point in the season. Second, it provides us the chance to witness our first-year students in their first competitive experience at the collegiate level. To this end, I was impressed with the efforts and results that both teams posted and was especially excited about how our first-year swimmers performed.”

Carleton’s best result was second place in the 200-yard freestyle relay as Stephen Grinich ‘16, Evan Lahr ‘17, Benito Ramirez ‘14, and George McAneny ‘16 touched the wall in 1:27.40.

The Knights grabbed six fourth-place finishes. The initial one came in the 300-yard breaststroke relay. For that event, Jesse Gourevitch ‘14, Grant Terrien ‘17, Ross Brown ‘14, and Evan Harris ‘15 combined on a time of 3:00.81. Two racers swam 50-yard segments, while the other two completed 100-yard distances.

Grinich, Brown, Will Sparks ‘15, and Wilson Josephson ‘16 also earned a fourth-place result in the 300-yard butterfly relay. The quartet touched the wall at 2:38.87.

Gourevitch, McAneny, Jonathan Brodie ‘16, and Aaron Schwab ‘17 also finished fourth in the 300-yard backstroke with a time of 2:42.11.

Continuing the pattern of fourth-place finishes, a time of 3:16.37 was turned in by Lahr, McAneny, Ramirez, and Grinich in the traditional 400-yard freestyle relay.

In the 4×100 yard IM relay, the combined efforts of Schwab, Brown, Harris, and Gourevitch allowed the Knights to touch the wall at 3:49.22, again claiming fourth place.

Carleton’s final fourth-place finish came in the 1100-yard animal relay with the Knights recording a time of 11:39.26.

Carleton will stay close to home for its next meet, the Cows, Colleges & Contentment Classic on Saturday, Nov. 2. Swimming races will be held at St. Olaf College while the diving portion will be held at Carleton.