Men’s Golf Unable to Regain the Rusty Putter

<rleton College men’s golf team faced off against cross-town rivals St. Olaf in the annual “Rusty Putter” match at Willingers Golf Club on Saturday. The dual meet involved three events: best-ball, alternate shot, and scramble formats.

Each event was six holes and worth two points. There were three matches, with two players from each team in each group. The Knights started the meet out strong, despite the strong winds and cold temperatures, but Carleton was not able to pull out the victory, falling to the Oles 11-7.

The 5-6 pairing, which rotated between sophomore Jorde Ranum, Brian Herlihy ‘16, and Evan Osborne ‘13, led the Knights, as they picked up three of the possible six points, the most of any Carleton pairing.
Both the 1-2 pairing of Ned Rohrbach ‘16 and Brian Chesley ‘13 and the 3-4 paring of Juniors Aaron Buckley and Jeff Berg won two points for the Knights.

Carleton gained possession of the rusty Scottish Putter for the first time in 2011, but the Oles have gone home with the “treasured” keepsake for the last two years.

The match was the last of the year for Carleton, who will be represented this year by Ranum on the All-MIAC sportsmanship team. As the season comes to a close, the Knights will say goodbye to seniors Evan Osborne, Brian Chesley, and Ted Harrington.