Women’s Tennis Finishes Sixth at Midwest Invitational

<therine Greenberg ‘14 won twice in singles and added a doubles victory as the Carleton College women’s tennis team placed sixth at the Midwest Invitational. The annual tournament brings together several of the top squads in the central region.

The eight-team tournament included five nationally-ranked squads: No. 6 University of Chicago, No. 11 DePauw University, No. 13 Washington University (Mo.), No. 22 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, and No. 25 Case Western Reserve. The other three participating teams—Carleton, Denison University, and Gustavus Adolphus College—all are ranked among the top-10 squads in the region.

The Knights (9-7) opened the weekend with an 8-1 setback against DePauw, ranked No. 2 in the region. Mikayla Becich ‘16 notched Carleton’s lone victory with a 6-4, 6-2 victory at third singles.

Carleton, ranked No. 8 in the region, then faced Denison later on Friday and tallied a 6-3 triumph over the Big Red, ranked No. 9 in the region. The Knights swept all three singles matches. Bridget Doyle ‘13 and Anne Lombardi ‘14 are the No. 8 doubles tandem in the region and bested the No. 10-ranked duo from Denison by an 8-3 margin. Becich and Grace Davis ‘16 prevailed at second doubles by the same score, and Greenberg and Molly Hemes ‘14 posted an 8-4 triumph.

In singles, Becich and Greenberg came out on top, with both winning in three sets. Claire Spencer ‘16 added a 7-5, 7-5 victory at the fifth slot to round out the scoring.

Saturday morning brought the tournament to a close as Wisconsin-Whitewater won, 5-4. Lombardi had the most success in this match, teaming with Doyle for an 8-3 triumph over another regionally-ranked pair at first doubles as well as a 6-4, 7-6 victory at second singles.