Men’s Track: Colby Seyferth Helps Carleton to Eighth at MIAC Indoor Championships

<phomore Colby Seyferth ‘15 figured in a trio of all-conference honorable mention performances on Day Two of the MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships as Carleton College finished eighth in the team competition.

The University of St. Thomas continued its dominance of the event, winning the team title for the 29th consecutive season. The Tommies amassed 204 points followed by host St. Olaf (114 points), Bethel (88), Hamline (74.5), Saint John’s (73), Concordia (59), Gustavus (57.5), Carleton (50), and three other squads.

Seyferth literally got the Knights going on the track today as he ran the leadoff leg of the 4×200-meter relay, the afternoon’s first race. He combined with Evan McNeil ‘15, Jordan Washam ‘14, and Garo Anguiano-Sainz ‘15 for a season-best time of 1:31.93, which was fifth in the event, earning the quartet all-conference honorable mention.

Jack Percival ‘16 picked up All-MIAC honorable mention with his sixth-place finish in the 600-meter dash. He won his heat in 1:23.55.

Brothers Noah Laack-Veeder ‘15 and Thor Laack-Veeder ‘15 both scored for the Knights in the 1000-meter run. Noah grabbed All-MIAC honorable mention by finishing fifth at 2:35.34, while Thor placed seventh overall, a half-second later.

Seyferth won his heat and placed sixth overall in the 200-meter dash with a season-best time of 22.964, grabbing all-conference honorable mention by only 0.006 second.

The 3000-meter run proved to be the lone race of the day in which the Knights did not score. Hart Hornor ‘16 was Carleton’s top finisher, placing 10th with a personal-best time of 8:50.82. Also establishing new PR’s were Jacob Hoerger ‘14 and Jonah Barry ‘16.

After being the first Carleton runner of the day, Seyferth was also the last, concluding the afternoon as the anchor on the 4×400-meter relay. Percival, Noah Laack-Veeder, Arnaud Kpachavi ‘15, and Seyferth finished fifth and grabbed All-MIAC honorable mention with a time of 3:25.62.