Women’s Track Finishes Fifth at MIAC Indoor Championships

<r Haley Johnson broke the school record in the 1000-meter run and first-year Ruth Steinke turned in another All-MIAC performance on the final day of competition at the MIAC Indoor Track and Field Championships. Carleton also saw three other races on Day Two result in All-MIAC Honorable Mention. The Knights finished fifth out of a dozen squads in the team standings.

The University of St. Thomas literally ran away from the other 11 teams and cruised to its 14th consecutive conference crown, amassing 180 points. The next five squads were separated by only 10 points as host St. Olaf College earned second place with 83 points followed by Saint Benedict (81), Gustavus Adolphus (75), Carleton (74) and Bethel (73).

In the 1000-meter race, Johnson broke the school record with a time of 2:55.13, placing second overall. She garnered All-MIAC distinction in the event for the second straight year.

Steinke, who received All-MIAC recognition for her third-place finish in the mile run on Friday, again crossed the line third on Saturday, this time in the 3000-meter run as she posted a time of 10:28.08. Colette Celichowski (So./Shorewood, Minn./Minnetonka) finished fifth in the 3K with a time of 10:34.99, to earn All-MIAC honorable mention.

The racing portion on Saturday began with a sixth-place result in the 4×200-meter relay. Rookies Kayla McKinsey, Anna Cich, Reilly Simon, and Amelia Campbell earned an All-MIAC honorable mention as they combined to post a time of 1:47.21, only one-tenth of a second off their school-record pace established a week ago.

Emma Russ ‘16 and McKinsey both set season bests as they finished 1-2 in their heat of the 200-meter dash at 27.17 and 27.20, respectively. They both added to the Knights’ point total but missed out on all-conference honorable mention by one spot.

Saturday concluded the way it began on the track, with another sixth-place finish, this one in the 4×400-meter relay. Simon, Cich, Johnson, and Russ tallied a season-best time of 4:05.15 as they received All-MIAC Honorable Mention.

For the weekend, the Knights scored points in 11 of the 13 running events, as well as the pentathlon.