Moede Named MIAC Women’s Golf Athlete-of-the-Week

<rleton sophomore Kelsey Moede and her Knights teammates have enjoyed a great fall season, and they put the finishing touches on their successful campaign with a good showing against top national competition last week.

Moede scored a top-20 finish–playing particularly well over the final two rounds–while the Knights finished tied for 14th against some of the best Division III has to offer at the 2012 Golfweek Division III Preview. For her performance, Moede was named the MIAC Women’s Golf Athlete-of-the-Week.

Moede opened the tournament (held at Baytowne G.C. in Miramar Beach, Fla.) with a first-day 85, but improved dramatically over the final two rounds. She shaved six strokes off her score for a second-round 79, and she trimmed another shot off on the final day to finish with a 78.

For the tournament, she shot a 54-hole total of 242 and finished tied for 14th place among the extremely competitive field of 69 golfers. The Knights shot a team score of 1,008 to earn a top-10 finish in ninth place in a field of 14 teams, including nine nationally-ranked squads. A week earlier, Moede was the runner-up at the 2012 MIAC Golf Championships and an All-Conference selection, and her 78.8 stroke average ranks second in the conference this fall.

The trip to Florida marked the end of the 2012 fall season for the Carleton women’s golf team. The Knights enjoyed an extremely successful fall with one victory, a pair of runner-up performances (including the MIAC Championships) and four finishes in the top five.