Women’s Soccer Unbeaten in Six Matches

<rlena Hartman-Filson ‘13 scored early and assisted on a second-half insurance goal as the Carleton College Women’s soccer team recorded a 2-0 victory over visiting Saint Mary’s University.

The triumph extended the Knights’ (7-3-3, 3-2-2 MIAC) unbeaten streak to six matches and moved Carleton from tenth into a tie for fourth in the crowded MIAC standings.

Although Carleton, ranked No. 10 in the region, possessed a 28-1 advantage in shots, it took a spectacular effort for Hartman-Filson to tally her team-best fourth goal of the season.

In the seventh minute, she received a feed from Karlie Haug ‘13 at the top of the 18-yard box, but Hartman-Filson found herself challenged by a trio of Cardinals. The senior co-captain took a step to the left and fired a left-footed shot that struck the bottom of the crossbar before continuing into the net.

The Knights got some breathing room in the 61st minute. Hartman-Filson lofted a corner kick into the six-yard box and Madelaine Horn ‘16 headed the ball into the left side of the net for her second goal of the campaign.

Thanks to the smothering defense in front of her, Mikayla Coulombe ‘16 was forced to make only one save, notching her eighth shutout of the season.

The game was a stark contrast to the Knights’ previous game against Augsburg, when the Knights played the game into a 1-1 overtime despite a combined 45 shots from both teams. Megan King ‘16 nearly netted the gamewinner in the 82nd minute, but her shot ricocheted off of the crossbar and back into play.

Similarly, in the second overtime period, an Augsburg shot hit the crossbar but failed to enter the net. Coulombe tallied a season-best 11 saves for Carleton in the contest.

Carleton will hold its Senior Day celebration on Saturday, Oct. 13 when the Knights host Hamline University at 1 PM. Live video of the contest will be available via Knights Online.