Seniors Lead Women’s Soccer to Victory

<f the best women’s soccer rivalries in the region was renewed this afternoon, and first-half goals by seniors Claire McGillem and Marlena Hartman-Filson gave the Carleton College women’s soccer team a 2-0 triumph over Concordia College.

This was a huge bounce-back victory for the Knights, who entered the day still seeking their first conference victory after dropping 1-0 games to St. Catherine and Saint Benedict over the last week-plus. Meanwhile, the Cobbers were the top pick in the conference coaches’ preseason poll and were receiving votes in the latest national polls.

Not only do these squads meet each year in the regular season, but Concordia and Carleton have squared off in the last four MIAC playoffs and five of the last six overall meetings have required overtime, the lone exception coming when the Cobbers won 1-0 during last year’s MIAC tourney.

McGillem broke the scoreless tie today with her third goal of the season, tying for the team high. She tallied an unassisted score with a shot from the top of the box in the 27th minute.
Shortly before halftime, Karlie Haug ‘13 found Hartman-Filson at the top of the box, and the latter wasted little time sending the ball into the net.

Carleton goalkeeper Mikayla Coulombe ‘16 had five saves—four of them in the second half—en route to registering her fifth shutout of the campaign. The Carleton defense had yielded only four total goals over the last eight games.
Mikayla Coulombe continued her fine form on Wednesday, registereing fives saves as the Carleton College women’s soccer team settled for a scoreless draw with visiting Macalester College.

While Macalester finished with an 18-12 edge in shots, the Knights (5-3-2, 1-2-1 MIAC) had more scoring chances in the overtime periods.

The Carleton defense has permitted only two goals over the last six games, three of which have gone to multiple overtime periods.

The Knights will host Gustavus Adolphus College on Saturday, at 1 PM Live video will be available on Knights Online.