Women’s soccer advance winning streak to 7 games

<rleton women’ soccer team is running a seven game winning streak and only has 3 MIAC games left in their regular season schedule. They currently hold spot 5 in the conference rankings, although they have played fewer games that some of the teams ranked above them, and the Knights must win their next three games in order to secure a MIAC playoff berth. They are scheduled to play 10th ranked Hamline University away this Saturday at 1 p.m., 12th ranked College of St. Catherine away next Thursday at 4 p.m., and 9th place St Olaf crosses the river to play Carleton a week from this Saturday at 1 p.m. for their last home game of the season. The Knights cannot take any of these remaining teams lightly as all MIAC teams have proved to be strong competitors.

In their most recent games, the Knights have beaten Augsburg and Luther Colleges. Carleton beat conference competitor Augsburg 3-2 in overtime at home last Saturday. The Knights fell to the Augies due to an own goal in the beginning of the game but one minute later the Knights bounced back when Emma Dobbins ’10 scored her 4th goal of the season (all in the last 5 games). Later in the half Mia Zutz ’10 crossed the ball into the box where Nicky Bloom ’09 finished it to put the Knights in a 2-1 at half time. This was Bloom’s 4th goal of the season as well.

Shortly into the second half Augsburg scored off of a corner kick, tying up the game 2-2 for the remainder of the second half. The Knights dominated over Augsburg but could not find the back of the net to finish it off. The game went into overtime and Leigh-Anne Borkowski ’11 scored the golden goal at the end of the first overtime period. Borkowski received a deflected ball off of a corner kick and shot it over the Augsburg keeper to secure the necessary conference win.

On Monday the Knights played non-conference Luther in Decora, Iowa. Captain Dylan Welch ’08 scored an early goal off of a corner kick that the Knights call “Chaos.” The Knights dominated the rest of the game but could not seem to finish. Carleton’s defense consisting of Megan Molteni ’08, Sophie Wood ’09, Maya Dusenbery ’08, Leigh-Anne Borkowski ’11, and goalie Yusi He ’09 were solid as they consistently have been throughout the season.

Support the Knights in their next three games as they try to make the MIAC playoffs!