Gourevitch captures first MIAC swimmer-of-the-week honor

<rleton College men’s swimming and diving team and sophomore Jesse Gourevitch both appear to be peaking at the right time.

Over the weekend Gourevitch had one of his best collegiate performances at the Minnesota Challenge, hosted at the University of Minnesota, setting a season-best time in the 100-yard breaststroke and a lifetime best in the 200-yard breaststroke while putting himself in good position for the upcoming MIAC Championships.

For his performances, Gourevitch has been named the MIAC Men’s Swimming and Diving Athlete-of-the-Week.

Gourevitch is the second Knight to earn this award this season. Erik Klontz ‘13 received the distinction back-to-back weeks last month.

Over the weekend, Gourevitch led Carleton in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:01.70. That time set a new season best for the sophomore and helped him finish 16th against a talented field at the Challenge.

He swam even better in the 200-yard breaststroke, setting his new personal best with a time of 2:16.98 and finishing in 15th place. Both of those times place Gourevitch in the top eight in the MIAC in 2011-12 on the conference’s top times list.

Gourevitch and the Knights will continue their preparations for the 2012 MIAC Swimming and Diving Championships, which will be held Feb. 16-18, also at the University of Minnesota’s Aquatic Center.

— Courtesy of Sports Information